Great Northern
Wetmore Road
Burton upon Trent
Staffs

Opening Hours
Mon - Thurs
5:30 - 11:30
Fri
5:30 - Midnight
Sat
12:00 - Midnight
Sun
12:00 - 4:00
7:00 - 11:00

Home
Bridge
Beers
Bottled
Beers
Guest
Beers
News
History
Sales &
Delivery
Tied
Pubs
Shop
Games & Quizzes

The history of The Great Northern

Built between 1881 & 1891 and named after the Great Northern Railway which had a line from London Kings Cross to Doncaster then eventually on to York. This was the route of the famous 'Flying Scotsman'. Burton was one of it's major stations along the route

Probably the first landlord and landlady were John & Mary Atkins of Molesworth in Leicestershire, he had previously been a labourer living in Horninglow St. They were running the pub in 1888, however John died in 1896 so Mary left the 'Northern' and moved to Derby Road where she took in boarders to make ends meet.

The pub was taken over by Edward & Jemima Dunnicliffe who moved from the Albert Inn in Main St. Newhall with their children Joseph aged 30 a blacksmith, William aged 29, a brewers labourer, Jemima aged 27 and Priscilla aged 24 who were all born in Newhall. Originally Edward was a shoemaker from Melbourne.

Research is continuing